AL First Class Pre-K
First Class: Alabama's Voluntary Pre-K is part of the Office of School Readiness within our department. First Class Pre-K provides effective, high-quality early childhood experiences that prepare Alabama's children for school success and lifelong learning.
Office of School Readiness defines school readiness as a condition whereby children enter school with:
• an enthusiasm for learning,
• an ability to function in a social setting,
• age-appropriate communication and problem-solving skills,
• age-appropriate physical and emotional skills, and
• optimal health
Why High-Quality Pre-Kindergarten?
Numerous studies have shown that students who have participated in high-quality pre-kindergarten programs:
• are less likely to repeat a grade, require remedial education, or be placed in special education,
• score higher on achievement tests,
• are more likely to graduate from high-school and go on to college
• get higher paying salaries as adults, and
• are more likely to stay out of prison and off welfare
Click the link below to view the Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education's presentation.
ALABAMA'S VOLUNTARY PRE-K PROGRAM
Alabama's nationally recognized First Class Pre-K is preparing for another exciting school year! Online pre-registration applications for the 2018-2019 school year may be submitted beginning January 15, 2018. See the flyer and additional attachments regarding WES Pre-K registration. For questions or assistance, please contact WES Office at (256) 331-2122 during regular school hours.
Online Pre-Registration Applications: (Click appropriate link to access files )