In-district & Out of District Student Frequently Asked Questions


    What does the policy state?

    Beginning Fall 2016, students who live outside the Russellville city limits who wish to attend Russellville City Schools will be required to apply, pay tuition, and provide their own transportation.


    Why is the district doing this?  

    Residents of the city of Russellville pay 17.8 mils of ad valorem tax to the city to help fund our schools. Russellville City Schools spends approximately $1,750 of local tax dollars per student per year. As of 2016, Russellville City Schools had over 900 students that live outside the city limits of Russellville attending schools in the district. That represents $1.5 million of negative spending. We must ensure that those living in the city limits of Russellville are getting the benefit of the increased ad valorem taxes or that those living outside the city limits of Russellville pay a comparable fee to attend school in the district.

    Also, most of our schools are at or nearing capacity. We do not currently have the funds available to finance the amount of capital projects that we need to comfortably house all of our students. Projections are for our student population to continue to increase over the next few years. This would make new building projects inevitable without enacting a district policy.


    How much will I have to pay?  

    Students that live outside the Russellville city limits must apply to attend school in the district and, if accepted, will pay $600 tuition (per student, per year). Tuition does not include the normal fees, dues, etc.


    Will I have to pay if I work in the district?

    Students of full-time Russellville City Schools employees who live out of district will be accepted at no charge if they meet the admittance criteria.


    When did this take effect?  

    The policy took effect the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year.    


    What if I live in Russellville city limits?  How do I enroll my child in Russellville City Schools?  

    For those who live inside the city limits, you will only need to provide proof of residency for a first time student enrollment. After residency has been verified, there will be no need to verify in subsequent years the stuent is enrolled.


    What if I move into or out of  the city limits?

    Moving from in-district to another address in-district:

    If you move from your established in-district residence to another location within the city, all you will need to do is bring a copy of your deed or lease agreement to the new address, along with a copy of your current utilitiy bill to your child's school and request a change in address.  If guardian's name is on the lease/deed and the utiltiy bill, the address will be changed in the school's database and student will retain their in-district status. 

    Moving from out of district to in-district:

    If you currently live outside Russellville City limits and plan to move inside the city limits, just bring your deed or lease agreement along with a utiiltiy bill, both in the guardian's name, to the enrollment office at 1945 Waterloo Road, Russellville, AL 35653.  Once the new address is verified, your child's enrollment will be changed from out of district student to in-district.  

    Moving from in-district to out of district:

    If you currently live inside the city limits of Russellville and plan to move outside the city limits, just call your child's school to let them know and complete a change of address form.  Your child's school will change the address in the school's database and your child will be considered an out of district student and will be subject to tuition charge.  You do not have to prove or verify your out of district address with a lease/deed or utility bill.



    What are accepted proof of residency documents?

    1. A birth certificate or court records showing the student’s parents, custodial parent or legal guardian.
    2. A deed, lease or rental agreement for a property inside the Russellville city limits in which the student resides with the parent(s), custodial parent, or legal guardian.
    3. A current utility bill with a matching address of the deeded or leased property. (Cable bills will not be accepted.)


    May I fax or email my proof of residency to the school?

    Yes. Be sure to include the student’s name on all documents. You may fax your documents to RCS Enrollment at 256-332-7323 The district will still require something showing the student’s parents, custodial parent or legal guardian.


    What if utilities are included in my lease?

    If any of the utilities are included in your lease, and if this is noted on your lease, then the lease will suffice for proof of residency.


    Is a cell phone bill acceptable documentation to satisfy proof of residency?

    No. Only a home telephone (landline) bill satisfies this requirement.  


    What if my family is homeless?  

    The proof of residency policy does not apply to homeless students and families. Contact the McKinney-Vento liaison, Dr. Tim Guinn, at 256-331-2000 if this applies to you.


    What if I am an undocumented immigrant?

    Any child whose parent or legal guardian lives in the Russellville City School district is guaranteed access to a free appropriate public education. No family will be denied access to school because of their immigration status. Undocumented immigrant families should contact the McKinney-Vento liaison, Dr. Tim Guinn, at 256-331-2000 if this applies to you.


    Where do I apply?  

    Applications can be picked up and accepted anytime Monday - Friday during the school  year from 8:00 am until 3:30 pm at Russellville City Schools Board of Education office, 1945 Waterloo Road, Russellville, AL 35653 or you may download an application from our website at

    Once school is out for the summer, applications can be turned in through July at the RCS Central Office on Waterloo Road.